Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5/Alpha & X with Matrox Millenium I/II
To: Sascha Valckenier Kips <>
From: Andrew Gallatin <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/2000 11:13:32
Andrew Gillham writes:
 > Sascha Valckenier Kips writes:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > can me help anyone to compile the right XServer to use the Matrox SVGA
 > > card with my System ?
 > Currently the only supported video card is the 'TGA' which is rare in
 > PCI form.  Legend has it that a Wasabi Systems employee (Simon?)
 > has XFree86 in a near usable state on alpha.
 > Basically you are out of luck for right now.  I would tend to think alpha
 > support will be showing up in 1.6 with XFree86 4.x, but I don't know.

If you're desparate for an X server right now (without resorting to
linux), FreeBSD/alpha supports XFree86 on most PCI VGA cards.  3D Labs
Permedia cards appear to work the best.  Some people say Matrox cards
work OK; I've never tried one.  Others complain about problems with
colours on matrox cards..

Andrew Gallatin, Sr Systems Programmer
Duke University				Email: