Subject: Re: DEC3000/300 HD boot
To: None <>
From: Kevin Schoedel <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/24/2000 18:44:25
On 2000/12/23 at 3:08am +0100, Tim Coninx <> wrote:
>I am trying to install Netbsd on a DEC3000/300 which has no floppy drive
>or cdrom drive. I abandoned netboot because it couldn't pass the second
>But because I have two harddisks (each with an installation of Digital
>Unix) it would be easy to use cdhdtape to boot from one of the disks.
>I dd-d the image under DigitalUnix to the second harddisk, and then booted

I've just done a similar install on a 3000/600. The following might
help, from

   Digital UNIX protects the first block of a disk with a valid disk
   label because this is where the disk label is stored....  If the
   target disk already contains a label and you do not want to keep
   the label, you must zero (clear) the label by using the "disklabel
   -z" command. For example: # disklabel -z /dev/rrz1c

I did not try this, however; it was more convenient for me to write a
disk on another machine and physically move it to the 3000/600, than to
tweak the DU configuration enough to get it on my network.

Kevin Schoedel