Subject: DEC3000/300 HD boot
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Coninx <tim@cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/23/2000 03:08:08
Hello,

I am trying to install Netbsd on a DEC3000/300 which has no floppy drive
or cdrom drive. I abandoned netboot because it couldn't pass the second
step.
But because I have two harddisks (each with an installation of Digital
Unix) it would be easy to use cdhdtape to boot from one of the disks.
I dd-d the image under DigitalUnix to the second harddisk, and then booted
the second harddisk.
After AUDIT_LOAD_DONE, the only message I get from the image is

can't load osf_boot

after that, the console reports:

?05 HLT INSTR
  PC= 00000000.20000030 PSL= 00000000.00001F00

I used the variantions bs=16k (INSTALL.ps), bs=18k (README.files), and no
bs setting (what the hell ;-) . Always the error stays the same.

This second harddisk also contains Digitalunix (though corrupted by now).

Am I missing something here ?

--
Tim Coninx -*- KULeuven Department of Computer Science
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/cwis/research/distrinet/index-english.html

"A computer without a Microsoft operating system
 is like a dog without bricks tied to its head"