Subject: DEC3000/300 HD boot
To: None <>
From: Tim Coninx <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/23/2000 03:08:08

I am trying to install Netbsd on a DEC3000/300 which has no floppy drive
or cdrom drive. I abandoned netboot because it couldn't pass the second
But because I have two harddisks (each with an installation of Digital
Unix) it would be easy to use cdhdtape to boot from one of the disks.
I dd-d the image under DigitalUnix to the second harddisk, and then booted
the second harddisk.
After AUDIT_LOAD_DONE, the only message I get from the image is

can't load osf_boot

after that, the console reports:

  PC= 00000000.20000030 PSL= 00000000.00001F00

I used the variantions bs=16k (, bs=18k (README.files), and no
bs setting (what the hell ;-) . Always the error stays the same.

This second harddisk also contains Digitalunix (though corrupted by now).

Am I missing something here ?

Tim Coninx -*- KULeuven Department of Computer Science

"A computer without a Microsoft operating system
 is like a dog without bricks tied to its head"