Subject: Re: Dead Multia needs CPR/Clock battery?
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/17/2000 12:46:07
John Maier writes:
> I remember the FAQ saying something about dead batteries and not booting.
> Does this mean that I wont even get a console?

I have always gotten the SRM even with the battery unplugged or dead.
It sometimes thought it was a 500mhz Alpha, but SRM would come up.

> It was working great under 1.4.2 and I put it away 5months ago working
> great.  I installed 1.5 ran it for 8-9 hours, compiled a kernel etc.  This
> morning it will "turn on" and the green light, in the back,  flashes but
> that's it.

Does it repeat a pattern?  (like 1 long, 10 short or something)  The
UDB manual lists the codes I think.

You might try unplugging the battery in case some of the settings are
wacky.

> I don't think it is heat, because I have mounted a number of small fans it
> in that keep those cache chips and CPU and a very cool temp.

Kinda sounds like heat death though. :(

-Andrew