Subject: RE: AXPpci33 motherboard
To: Ken Seefried <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/03/2000 03:05:44
The AXPpci33 uses 3.3 volts only for the PCI bus, and few PCI cards need 3.3
volts. This is in contrast to the EB164, which needs 3.3 volts for the
processor.

You can still buy AT/3.3 power supplies, but they are expensive. You can
convert an ATX power supply to AT/3.3 by changing the connectors, but this
is not everybody's pastime.

The speed of an AXPpci33 depends on the cache it carries.

The EB164 is a much faster board but needs the AT/3.3 power supply. The
PC164 is faster yet and uses an easily modified ATX power supply.

The SIMMs used by these three boards are easily found second hand for less
than a dollar per megabyte. Some other Alphas need memory that cannot be
found second hand and costs 4 dollars per megabyte new.

Paul Smith