Subject: Promise IDE controller and misguided patches
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/30/2000 08:16:31
Okay, this is a gripe mail.

I'm pretty annoyed at the misguided patch that was committed to "work
around" the fact that the Alpha SRM assigns an I/O address > 10000 to
the Promise IDE controller on some systems.

The patch in question has caused my previously working Promise controller
to lose horribly.  Here is from an older kernel:

pciide0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: Promise Ultra33/ATA Bus Master IDE Accelerator (rev. 0x01)
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
pciide0: using isa irq 14 for native-PCI interrupt
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <IBM-DTTA-371440>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 13783 MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 28229040 sectors
wd0: 32-bit data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)

With the new kernel, it trips over the address check, and somewhere down
the line causes an null pointer deref.

This patch was clearly not tested thoroughly (did anyone actually test
it on Ultra33 boards?  Ones that were known to work WITHOUT the patch?)

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>