Subject: Re: removing packages
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@vaxpower.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/28/2000 07:46:19
On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 03:26:04AM -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Andrew van der Stock wrote:
> you get checksums of numerous flavors (MD5, BSD sum, etc) from the same
> place you get the distribution tarballs.
>
> > worst of the package "managers" does. When I lock down servers, rpm -q tells
> > me what's installed on yer average Linux box. I'd like this to be extended
> > to the base tarballs on NetBSD. What's so hard or wrong about doing this?
>
> it's stupid _and_ unnecessary. That base tarball had a chacksum that
> verifies for you (within the error of a checksum, but i dont think too
> many people can knock MD5) that you got what the dist maintainers said
> was there. you want to know what's on the system? why, the Berkeley
> Distribution, of course! one single unified package, if you will. Want to

Uh huh. In multiple posts you advocate putting the source we currently have
in the packages system into the main source tree. Did you notice that
/usr/pkg/src/distfiles fully populated with compressed (Z,gz,bz2,etc) source
is over a gig in size?

> > I'd prefer it if the *bsd's had the same ports/packages collection and the
> > same mechanisms for source and binary installation, but that's just me.
>
> this is also stupid. you'd comfortable with the framgented, completely

Zealotry is unnecessary, and being insulting is innecessary.

> world, and they want their familiar faces in BSD too. We have a UNIFIED
> source tree. It is under centralised revision control. It is distributed
> in a UNIFIED distribution. The problems you encounter with the completely
> bogus linux 'collections' way of doing things _don't happen_ in the BSD
> world. You want to upgrade a single thing? you download a patch, apply
> it to the sources, rebuild that one thing, and poof, update. The source
> controls it all, as it should be. If you don't like BSD, use linux, but
> don't clamor to make BSD into crap!

Frankly, I don't think this works. See above.

> You can cook up whatever you wish to do to make your personal preference
> in BSD comfortable with you. Please do not force that on us! I advocate

So don't upgrade your system every again. Nobody is forcing you to run
NetBSD.
      'Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
 It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and "service"
 to the community.' -- RFC 1591, page 4: March 1994