Subject: Re: removing packages
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@vaxpower.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/26/2000 22:40:38
On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 02:55:31AM -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:
> What's so bad about having a simple rc script that
> runs, and maybe runs rc.local for some local-specific stuff? how was that
> too complicated? Now, certainly, if things are fragemnted into a million
> pieces, then maybe it's easier to be modified by some dumb system
> administration -tool- but i do NOT advocate dumbing BSD down to appeal to
> moron wannabe-administrators and destroying a superior thing to win over
> a few more users.

I find it interesting that you consider the ability to easily manipulate
a single service (e.g., dhcpd) without resorting to using ps and kill,
and then invoking the service the same way rc did, ``dumbing BSD down
to appeal to moron wannabe-administrators''. I'm sure a lot of people
who are far from being morons or wannabes would take umbrage at your
statement.

With respect to ``the BSD way'', I refer you to the post by Robert Elz
about how things were often done by ``BSD'':
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2000/03/17/0010.html

BSD is not about being a nochangenik. In fact, wasn't the reason that
the original Berkeley Software Distribution started was because people
wanted extra and/or different stuff than the stuff shipped by USL?

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org