Subject: Re: removing packages
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@vaxpower.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/26/2000 02:40:18
Lord Isildur wrote:

> > At the moment, the base system isn't "pkgised" and files have to be
> > removed manually.  This will hopefully be fixed soon - someone is
> > working on it...
>
> [ opinion deleted ]

There are some very good reasons to pkgise the base system.  Unneeded
components can be deleted easily - some people don't want uucp for
example, nor either of the installed MTAs (sendmail, postfix).  Another
is easy upgrades in the future, which handle deleted or moved files
cleanly (nfsiod for example has been removed, nfsd has changed location
once in the past).  This also applies to individual components that
might beed to be upgraded for security reasons - you install a new bind
package if some exploit was found in named (sorry to pick on bind!).
This has been discussed on one of the tech lists (either tech-install or
tech-userlevel) quite a bit in the past.

And no, I don't think people are even suggesting anything like SysV
run-levels or inittab.  The whole rc.d thing was to make maintenance
easier, both for the base system and third party packages.

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/