Subject: Re: XalphaNetBSD ?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: William S. Morgart <morgarws@molbio.sbphrd.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/22/2000 15:44:49
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 11:51:38AM -0500, morgarws@molbio.sbphrd.com wrote:
> > >
> > > When I start XalphaNetBSD as a normal user it fails with "No Screens Found".
> > >
> > > But when I start it as root it works just fine. So I've set it setuid to root
> > > and it still reports "No Screens Found".
> >
> > Do you have any difference in environnement between root and user ?

There shouldn't be any other than access permissions.

> What about permissions on /dev/tty* - could those have any effect?

gomez# ls -las /dev/ttyE*
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   0 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE0
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   1 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE1
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   2 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE2
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   3 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE3
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   4 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE4
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   5 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE5
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   6 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE6
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25,   7 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyE7
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel  25, 255 Nov  6 23:18 /dev/ttyEcfg

Also, XalphaNetBSD has the setuid bit and is owned by root ..

gomez# ls -las /usr/X11/bin/XalphaNetBSD
4352 -rwsr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  4446168 Oct 21 20:25 /usr/X11/bin/XalphaNetBSD

From the source to the server it appears that this its failing in the
InitOutput function in alphaInit.c (xc/programs/Xserver/hw/netbsd/alpha/alphaIn
it.c) when it attempts to open /dev/ttyE? but as to why ... I have few clues.

One is what needs to be enabled within the wscons stuff. For example:

1. In /etc/wscons.conf how many screens should be enabled/disabled ?
2. Is there anything that needs to be added to the kernel config? In the
configs that are present in sys/arch/alpha/conf there doesn't seem to be
anything special like there is for the i386 family.
3. Does there need to be an entry in /etc/ttys for all of the /dev/ttyE?'s?
And should one or more be off instead of on like the old vt's on the i386?

This is with NetBSD 1.5Beta2 and the NetBSD current source for X. Also, the
video device is:
tga0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: DC21030 step C, board type T32-08
tga0: 1284 x 1024, 32bpp, Bt463 RAMDAC
tga0: interrupting at isa irq 10

Again it does work if I su to root (just su not su -)

Thanks Again,

Bill Morgart