Subject: Re: Single-user reached on multiprocessor Alpha kernel
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/22/2000 01:00:31
On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:52:27PM +0100, jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

 > On 20 Nov, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
 >
 > > we have gotten to single-user mode on a multiprocessor
 > > Alpha running a multiprocessor kernel which runs both kernel and
 > > user code on the secondary CPUs.
 > What about other architektures? (NetBSD on a VAX6660 using all CPUs
 > would be nice. :-) i386? I have this nice, old dual P5 PCI/ISA/EISA
 > board laying around... SPARC? A friend has a Sun4/670MP...)

The SPARC port has some preliminary MP code in it, but it's a bit
behind the i386 (which can run in multi-user mode) and Alpha (which
can *almost* run in multi-user mode.

Anyway, expect the SPARC port to catch up quickly once some of this
stuff gets settled...

...and now for the real purpose of my message.  I managed to get a little
further along on the Alpha this evening.  That is to say, I ran a parallel
fsck on 4 file systems, with my debugging printfs clearly showing that
user code was running on both CPUs in my AlphaServer 1200.

However, I did not manage to make it into multi-user mode.  I am still
trying to find the source of the deadlock, but I'm not going to be working
on it again until sometime next week, quite likely (I'm going to be in LA
starting tomorrow, lasting through Saturday, for the Thanksgiving holiday,
and during that time and after that, and some other important things that
I have to do in a big hurry after I get back).

Have a nice holiday, folks.  Don't eat too much :-)

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>