Subject: Re: Multia boot
To: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/12/2000 14:56:42
"Brandon D. Valentine" wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
>>Multia SRM unfortunately does not know to boot IDE drives :-(
>
>Hey Wilko,
>I know nothing about the NetBSD/alpha bootloader.  I know under
>FreeBSD/i386 I can interrupt the bootloader and tell it to boot off of
>wd0 if I want to, or I can configure it's default behavior via a
>configuration file.  It makes sense to me that such a thing should be
>possible under NetBSD/alpha but I need someone who's worked with the
>bootloader before to tell me how it's accomplished.  Under the install
>floppy environment I can, and have, gotten a floppy with a disklabel and
>FFS partition, and installed the NetBSD bootloader on it using
>installboot.  However when I attempt to boot that floppy via SRM, it
>will pause for a few minutes, then drop me back into the SRM console,
>presumably because the bootloader didn't find a kernel on the disk.

I believe that the problem is that you need SRM support for the
bootloader to boot the IDE disk.  In i386, the bootblocks have BIOS
support for reading off the IDE disk.

If you want to get the install floppy into a state where you can build
kernels, there are a few steps that you'll need to make:
	1.  mount a rw partition on /tmp and maybe /var/tmp.
	2.  modify your PATH to have /mnt/bin.
	3.  remount the root partition rw, and create symlinks from
	    /usr/include and /usr/bin, etc, to /mnt/usr/include, etc.

Something else that you might try would be to cd /mnt and then
./usr/sbin/chroot .

Something along these lines will provide you with an environment where
you can build.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==