Subject: Re: spamwar rules of engagement [ was printer supplies ]
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/04/2000 23:42:08
[ On Saturday, November 4, 2000 at 13:31:58 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: spamwar rules of engagement [ was printer supplies ]
>
> However, most sites using ORBS don't check what address is returned by the
> ORBS list - they only check for *existence*, which is the reason the MAPS
> system has more than one list.

Yeah, I know -- I fell into that trap myself for a while.  However I
fixed my software some time ago so that I could make the distinction
between the ORBS automated listings and the manual listings which are
often more trouble than they are good.  Only about one in 200-300 or
more spams that I still get on a monthly basis would be blocked by these
more draconian ORBS listings anyway.

> : HOWEVER, the remainder of the ORBS list consists entirely of
> : mechanically verified, provably open, relays.
>
> Which would be perfectly fine to use if it were a *separate* domain list.

In the mean time indeed the ORBS folks have indeed also made spearate
lists available for those who don't have software sophisticated enough
to check the value of the A RR returned from the DNS lookup in the ORBS
"relays.orbs.org" zone.

The zone you're looking for is called "outputs.orbs.org".  It contains
results from the automated tester only.  Unfortunately this zone is
still listed as "experimental" and though many people have expressed
interest in it, and though it has been around now for many months, its
use must be monitored to be sure it doesn't change or disappear
unexpectedly.

--
							Greg A. Woods