Subject: Re: printer supplies
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/03/2000 19:16:55
[ On Friday, November 3, 2000 at 17:12:15 (-0600), Peter Seebach wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: printer supplies
>
> No.  If it's real email, with real content, it's no different than a
> connection from an official relay which is "not explicitly authorized".

If a connection doesn't come from a valid mail server (i.e. if it comes
from an IP listed in the MAPS DUL) then it is by definition trying to
steal my resources, regardless of how valid or non-spam-like the content
might be.  This rule *should* go double for servers hosting public lists
such as the NetBSD mail server(s).

> Yes.  But some people - especially people using NetBSD, instead of Windows -
> may have an easier time just sending mail directly than setting up their
> boxes to use a relay.

Such people need to learn that they are not Internet Gods and they just
can't go about willy nilly breaking rules and assumptions set up in the
more global context to protect the rights of other users.

I.e. use your provider's authorised relay or lose.

--
							Greg A. Woods