Subject: Re: .../arch/alpha/tc/scc.c #includes
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/25/2000 09:36:01
At 10:25 AM 10/25/2000 +0200, Olaf Seibert wrote:
>On Wed 25 Oct 2000 at 08:52:11 +0200, jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> > On 24 Oct, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> >
> > > .../arch/alpha/tc/scc.c #includes <pmax/include/pmioctl.h>
>
> > :-)
> > This is not Linux. There are no separate kernel sources for each
> > architekture. _Everything_ is in one source code tree. Reuse of code
> > from other architektures is intended.
>
>Well yes, but then the sources are generally placed in a
>machine-independent directory. Or in some cases in a directory which is
>meant for some subset of machines (with m68k or ppc I think).

Or a manufacter specific directory (dev/dec, dev/sun).  Anyways, there
should be a dev/apple for macppc/mac68k code sharing.

>What we have here is that a non-pmax file is incuding a pmax-only file.
>This looks like a mistake to me.  I think this include file (and the
>others I did not mention) should be moved to a more appropriate
>location, and that that location is included in both the ksrc-pmax and
>the ksrc-alpha sup set.

Anyways, pmioctl.h should die in favor of wscons but it really should
move to dev/dec since (surprise!) the VAX X code uses similar mechanisms
and I see no reason why both should not share that file?

>But some shared directory seems necessary anyway; a friend is getting a
>DEC 5400 and apparently that's mostly a VAX but with a MIPS processor,
>so if his project of getting NetBSD working on it ever gets off the
>ground, a lot of code sharing should be possible.

Which is one reason dev/qbus exists. :)