Subject: Re: dmesg not going to /var/run/dmesg.boot
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/04/2000 13:53:58
David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org> wrote:
}	Random thought - does '/etc/rc.d/dmesg start' work?

The problem with /etc/rc.d is that it's very easy to leave files lying
around that don't belong there any more.  I suspect you have the same
problem I did, and need to remove /etc/rc.d/systemfs.  It cleans up
/var/run among other places.  I found this when I kept getting errors
from ps about the db not being created.

I've started doing this comparison on a semi-regular basis.
diff -c /etc/rc.d /usr/src/etc/rc.d | less

I ignore the fact that CVS and Makefile are only in /usr/src/etc/rc.d,
everything else that shows up needs to be updated.