Subject: Re: Newbie kernel compilation problem
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Joel Votaw <jovotaw@cs.nmsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/04/2000 08:58:36
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> By "NetBSD-release" I assume you mean the 1.4.3 branch?  Have you tried
> to rebuild config first?
>
> Are you sure you have all of the sources?  Where did you get the source,
> via ftp, sup, CDROM, etc?

Well.... being new to this I'm not sure where to start.  I was mainly
working off of the config(8) manpage.  I had downloaded the source
.tar.gz's (for sys, usr.sbin, etc) from
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release which I assume is the 1.4.3
branch.

I just found the "How to build a kernel" FAQ on www.netbsd.org and that
helps a lot.  It turns out that I needed to "cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config ;
make && make install" ("rebuild config"?) first.

It looks like it is working.  I think the problem, then, was my being such
a newbie on my part and not knowing where to look for documentation.
However, perhaps a short note in the config(8) manpage saying "Before
running config, you probably need to ..." would be helpful.  I assume the
"After running config, it is wise to run ``make depend''..." paragraph in
there is the result of frustrated newbies, too.

The kernel compile is plowing along nicely.  Thank you very much for your
help,

	-Joel