Subject: Re: NetBSD on newer Alpha boxes?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrei A. Dergatchev <A.Dergatchev@tn.utwente.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/30/2000 13:48:36
To the OP - there were some discussions in this list about these issues,
I'm surprised you didn't look in the archive.

I have an 21164SX from Microway myself - indeed it came with ncr and
AlphaBIOS (Compaq hasn't issued SRM for the SX at that time though).
Now SRM is available for almost all Alphas, except probably RX and UX.
AlphaBIOS/SRM choice isn't easy one because there are SCSI adapters
and videocards which are supported by AlphaBIOS but not by SRM.
There is an issue of the PALcode involved too (the one from SRM is better).
However, the fact is that AlphaBIOS is EOLed, so it is not likely
that *BSD will ever boot from them.

And not for everyone to boot from AlphaBIOS is more difficult then
to boot from SRM - look in debian-alpha archives from around 96-97
and see how long it took them to get it running ;-)

Andrei