Subject: Re: DEC 3000/300 error with 1.4.2
To: T. Martin <catfish@alltel.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/22/2000 06:26:07
On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, T. Martin wrote:

[gratuitous snip]

> Ok so it tells me that my firmware is to old.
> Is this really the prob or could something else be the issue.
> I'm using bootp on a Linux box and installed NetBSD sucessfully to two
> other Decstations identical to it. I don't have the Firmware version on
> those atm.
>
> Where can I get a newer firmware and how would you go about getting it
> into the thing to flash it as it don't have an OS or floppy only the LAN
> to boot off of.

You should be able to grab firmware from digital/compaq:

ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/firmware/readmes/dec3000.html

v7.0 of the SRM worked for me, although upgrading SRMs usually fixes one
problem while creating another.  YMMV. I was able to boot my 3000/300X
machines under 1.4.1 (the link shows 1.4.1 boot messages, and has a
picture which shows a few jumpers of particular interrest, perhaps):

http://www.yubyub.net/computers/alpha/index.html

I didn't have to do much to get it to netboot - just configure bootp and
tftpd, grab a cup of really hot tea, and it worked.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Jon
 "Hey - this old machine screams like a snail on acid!" - (a true
  comment by a fellow who recently installed NetBSD on an old server)