Subject: Re: multia netbooting?
To: None <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/2000 00:06:03
Joseph Sarkes wrote:

>I also tried the web page boot program generator to no avail.
>
>Is anyone netbooting multias now? and if so, how is it done?

Well, I netboot my Multia, but I use the web page boot program
generator (well, I should, shouldn't I?), and use the setting
broken firmware = no.

The firmware that I have is 3.8-3 on the box that I know of.
From what I understand 3.8-2 is the mystical working firmware,
so don't upgrade that to the broken 3.8-3.

Ensure that NFS and all of that are set up correctly, and if
you continue to have problems then I'd recommend using tcpdump
on the server to see what it is doing and where it fails.  The
best invocation is probably:

$ tcpdump ether host xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

where the xx's are the ether addr of the Multia.  You can then
see if it is attempting to do the NFS.

If you use a serial console, then you can more easily catch the
boot errors, also.  That is _really_ handy.  :-)

The only message that I've seen with `old' in it in the netboot
stuff is

``
Your firmware may be too old to network-boot NetBSD/Alpha,
or you might have to hard-code an ethernet address into
your network boot block with setnetbootinfo(8).
''

If this is what you are getting, ensure that you are pointing the
tftp server and dhcp/bootp to a netboot that has been generated from
the web page, or has had the ethernet address injected into it.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==