Subject: Re: TGA2 with sync on green on fixed frequency monitor
To: None <elric@imrryr.org>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/08/2000 21:52:03
On  8 Aug, R. C. Dowdeswell wrote:

> So, yes this is something that I've been meaning to get around to
> doing.  File a PR so that I don't forget to do it, and I can send
> you a workaround in the meantime.
Apropos PR: I tried to configure virtual consoles. I included this
wscons options in the kernel after it did not work with the options
from the GENERIC kernel:
# WS console uses SUN or VT100 terminal emulation
options 	WSEMUL_VT100
#options	WS_KERNEL_FG=WSCOL_GREEN
options		WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_PCVT		# emulate some ioctls
options		WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_SYSCONS	# emulate some ioctls
options		WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_USL		# VT handling
options		WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_RAWKBD		# can get raw scancodes
options	WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=4

But when I try to enable them I get:
ickis# /bin/sh /etc/rc.wscons
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory
wsconscfg: WSMUX_ADD_DEVICE: Invalid argument
ickis# uname -a
NetBSD ickis 1.5_ALPHA NetBSD 1.5_ALPHA (ickis) #2: Sat Aug  5 18:34:34 CEST 2000     root@ickis:/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/ickis alpha

Are virtual consoles not supported on alpha or is this just an other
bug?

> I am in NYC right now, and thus
> separated from my documentation, but I'll send you a quick patch
> that will allow you to build a one off sync-on-green kernel while
> I look into getting the right values out of the SRM to set it
> correctly.
This would be nice. :-)

>>And: Is there a way to configure the SRM console to use 1280x1024@72Hz
>>instead of the standard VGA 720x400@70Hz?
> I don't think that you get to do this one.
That is bad. I think this new AlphaStations are more PCs with an Alpha
CPU than real workstations. :-(
--

tschüß,
         Jochen, still looking for a DEC3000...