Subject: Re: snapshot 20000620-1.5 upgrade failure
To: None <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/03/2000 14:18:33
Markus Kilbinger wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Just tried to upgrade a Digital AlphaStation 500/500 from NetBSD 1.4.2
>to the 1.5 snapshot. After reading both install disks the kernel
>panics with something like:
>
>  tga_console ...: unknown board configuration
>
>Any hint? (Complete boot mesg under 1.4.2 attached)
>
>Markus.

Dmesg:
>vga0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: Digital Equipment TGA2 (rev. 0x22)

Yes.  You have a TGA2 board, which I [relatively] recently added
to the TGA driver.  It seems that this driver is having a hard time
with your board.  ;-)

Is your board a PowerStorm 3D30 or a 4D20?

I have a 3D30 running X in my system at home (to which I am currently
typing).  I think that the 4D20 has been shown to have problems
similar to what you are having.

A quick workaround which will get you up and running would be to
recompile a kernel without the tga driver in it.  This should work
as the 1.4.2 kernel worked.

I'd really like to write support for the 4D20 before 1.5, but I
don't have one and can't seem to con anyone into lending me one.
But, if you are willing to run some test kernels, I can probably
modify the TGA driver to not match() the 4D20 without an example
card.  (writing support for the card involves quite a bit more than
that as it uses a different RAMDAC than the ZLXp-E2.)

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==