Subject: Need to update sitting alpha 3000 300lx --- what to use?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/31/2000 18:58:35
Sadly, my 3000 LX has been sitting for too long, and now I would like to
update it.  It is currently running 1.4.2, but has some broken bits that
I was wondering if a current or 1.4.3ALPHA or 1.5ALPHA might fix.

In particular the mouse is broken.  Touching it, sets off an endless loop
that locks up the machine.  Something about the serial port stuck.
Changing mice and cables does not cure anything, so it would seem to
be the 1.4.2 that has the problem.  With no X support, my current cure
is just to pull the mouse.

Also I am using a PMAG-C card as opposed to the usual PMAG-B things folks
seem to be running, so X support was not there.

1.  What is the current state of PMAG-C support and X in any alpha port?
    I can scrounge up a PMAG-B card, and a 17 inch monitor, but I really
    was wanting to use the VRH19 monitor on the PMAG-C if it is supported
    for X, to any extent.

2.  Which port would one recommend to load to get as much usability in
    the machine as is currently supported.  I only put 1.4.2 up on it
    when I first got it, because it was handy.  What is the pro and con
    of anything later than 1.4.2?

3.  Anyone have a working TeX port for the alpha that DOES NOT use X
    libraries in Metafont?  I do a lot of TeX writing, and the alpha
    would be nice for that, but without a working X installed Metafont
    croaks because of not finding X libs.  (Yeah, I could install some
    dummy X libs, and may wind up doing that, but.....).

Any insights or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob