Subject: Re: Extra Disk
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/27/2000 16:31:30
> From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
>
>:::
> Is this the correct syntax for the next step?
>
> 	newfs /rsd1c

Well,
	newfs /dev/rsd1c
or
	newfs rsd1c

> Currently /etc/fstab is
>
> /dev/sd0a / ffs rw 1 1
> /dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/sd0d /usr ffs rw 1 2
> /kern /kern kernfs rw
>
> When I add a line for each new file system to /etc/fstab is it important
> that the one beginning with "/kern" remains the last one in the file?

No.

> Since there'll be only one partition on my extra disks I'll need to add a
> line such as
>
> /dev/sd1c /home1 ffs rw 1 2
>
> correct?

Yes.

> Apparently there's no need to edit /etc/disktab?

Correct, no specific need, mainly it would be used these days to avoid
having to save a complicated partition map in a nonstandard backup file,
or it is sometimes used to automate the netbsd.org release and snapshot
distributions that label and set up virtual disk images.

It really dates from the days that disks did not identify their geometries
and sizes to the controllers and kernels, and also did not have internal
caches and arm motion optimizations, so it was important for performance
reasons and because of CHS addressing to feed all the numbers to the kernel
in a side channel.  Now it's a bit of an anachronism with all the LBN
interfaces.

	ross