Subject: NetBSD 1.4.3_ALPHA test version available
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/13/2000 17:41:35
Hi,

test distributions of NetBSD 1.4.3_ALPHA are now available for
the i386, alpha, macppc, hp300 and sparc ports.  You'll find
these in the

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/*/snapshot/20000707-1.4.3_ALPHA/

directories for the corresponding port (replace the "*" in the above
URL with the port name from the above list).

If you want to do an in-place upgrade (new kernel and then install
new user-land binaries) instead of a wholesale installation, you
should note that you can do that only if you already run 1.4.1,
1.4.2 or an earlier release, but *not* if your current kernel and
user-land binaries is built from NetBSD-current code from after the
initial branch point for netbsd-1-4.  If "uname -r" says that you
run "1.4<letter(s)>", e.g. 1.4P, your kernel is from NetBSD-current
after netbsd-1-4 was branched, and you cannot do an in-place upgrade
without inflicting grief on yourself.

Please also note the following:

 o Some of the archs miss some of the install bits, macppc and hp300
   in particular, and the alpha bits are incomplete.  I'm currently
   looking into fixing this for the archs I build, and will prompt
   the other builders to submit similar build fixes.

 o The sparc port misses the "security" parts, as I bumped into a
   snag with my build tree (now sorted out).  The security part for
   the sparc port will be uploaded when it's ready.

If you spot any serious problems with this code, please submit
formal problem reports using "send-pr".

Best regards,

- H=E5vard