Subject: Re: DEC 3000/500 - Serial console keyboard problem
To: NetBSD-Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Scot W. Hetzel <scot@genroco.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/07/2000 16:10:36
From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <scot@GENROCO.COM>
> We have two of DEC 3000/500 systems, one was setup to use the serial
console
> (alpha1), while the other uses the graphics console (alpha2).
>
> The problem we are having is alpha1 will not netboot so that we can
upgrade
> the firmware.

>  INIT-S-CPU
>  AUDIT_BOOT_START...
>  AUDIT_BOOT_REQ
>  Host Server IP address is 192.168.120.3
>  AUDIT_BSERVER_FOUND
>
>  84 FAIL

OK, I fixed the problem with alpha1, by upgrading its firmware from 3.2 to
7.0 and now it has no problem using BOOTP.

 In order for me to upgrade alpha1's firmware, I had to place the
m500_v7_0.btp file
on to tape with the mkbootfirm utility on another DEC 3000 system running
DEC Unix.

    cp m500_v7_0.btp fwupdate.exe
    ./mkbootfirm fwupdate.exe | /usr/bin/dd of=/dev/rmt0h bs=512

    This command is used to place the firmware on to a floppy.
    ./mkbootfirm fwupdate.exe | dd of=/dev/rfd0c bs=64k

Then, swap that tape drive into alpha1 and boot the system from the firmware
tape.

> When we netboot alpha2, it would load the kernel and then switches to the
> serial console.  We hooked up a Digital VT220 dumb terminal (setup as
VT100,
> 8N1) to alpha2's serial port (this dumb terminal does work on alpha1).  We
> then changed switch S3 on the back of alpha1 to serial console.  Now when
we
> netboot,  the boot process is placed onto the serial console, instead of
the
> graphic console.  The process continues until it reaches the check for
> rc_configured in rc:
>
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
>
> When we press RETURN on the serial console, nothing happens.  It seems as
if
> it is ignoring the keyboard.
>
> NOTE:  We also can't use the serial console before it boots either, we had
> to set the system to auto boot from the graphic console.

I have given up on this problem with alpha2, I have no ideal as to why it
doesn't respond to the serial consoles keyboard.

> Also, if we remove the graphic consoles keyboard from alpha2 and boot the
> system, it halts with the following error on the serial console.
>
> DEC 3000 - M500
> Digital Equipment Corporation
> System conducting power up tests
>
> Devnam       Devstats

>      SCC     ?? 004 0060 ptr(0) = Not Present kybd(2) = Not Present

> System power up tests detected error(s).
> See your system documentation for more information.

fixed this problem by issuing the following at the SRM prompt:

>>> set server on

Scot