Subject: Re: Card recommendations for UP1000 system
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/24/2000 11:36:41
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hal Murray" <murray@pa.dec.com>
To: "Robert Stone" <robert@nosc.ja.net>
Cc: <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2000 10:08 AM

> >      . NICs. (I quite like the Intel PRO 10/100 cards, is anybody using
> >        them ? ).
>
> I get device timeouts under heavy load.  (and it doesn't have to
> be all that heavy)

This sounds like a driver problem.  I've used them for years in Netware/NT
File Servers and Dos/Win95/98 workstations, at both 10 and 100mbps speeds
without any sign of a device timeout.  And our Novell boxes were/are busy as
all hell.  I seriously doubt this is an issue with the card hardware.
Perhaps someone knowledgeable about such things should have a serious look
at the driver for the Etherpro?  ISTR there were issues with the drivers at
one time for Netware, (though it never affected us) but I've never seen any
evidence that the hardware was buggy.

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager