Subject: RE: Changing MAC addresses?
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/15/2000 14:04:57
On June 15, David Woyciesjes wrote:
> 	If I'm correct, MAC addresses are hardwired into the chips on any
> network interface. Part of the address identifies the manufacturer of the
> interface, and I'm not positive what the rest of the address is for. Type of
> a serial number (of sorts), I guess. So to replace them, you would need to
> reprogram one of the chips on the NIC itself.

  This is not always the case.  Sometimes the MAC address is stored in
a PROM (or flash, or whatever) on the interface card.  In some cases,
that is used directly, in other cases the driver reads the PROM and
programs the MAC address into the interface.

  Point is, different designers did it in different ways..

         -Dave McGuire