Subject: Re: Booting a CD-ROM on PC164 via 53c810
To: None <wc.bulte@chello.nl>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/13/2000 21:40:27
On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:38:19PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > It wouldn't boot from CD's like the DEC firmware CD, or a 4.0F DU CD.
> > The -43 works just fine.
>
> The RRD45 did report as a RRD45 right? By installing/removing the parity
> jumper you can select Toshiba/DEC mode.

Right, and there are also jumpers for ID and termination. Termination
was disabled and a terminator was put on the end of the bus. Same
problems. Termination was taken off the end of the bus, then enabled
in the RRD45. Same problems. Every other external device was taken
off the bus. Same problems. The parity jumper was removed/added. Same
problems. The ID was changed. Same problems. Different cabling was
tried. Same problems.

AS 200 was taken apart, external cabling was removed, and the drive
was put onto the internal, DEC original, cabling. Same problems.

Making an SRM bootfloppy and booting from it failed as well, but with
a different error (I don't remember the exact error). An SRM reflash
worked fine with the offending RRD45 taken off the chain.

Did I forget to try something?
"How can a child 'just say no' when even the adults cannot because our
corporate-owned culture buys and sells the public as easily as it does
the Congress?" - from a letter to US News + World Reports, Dec 13 1999