Subject: Booting a CD-ROM on PC164 via 53c810
To: None <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/13/2000 01:31:20
I've got a 53c810 in my PC164 with a couple of CD-ROM drives hanging off
it. For some reason, they often give me:

>>>show dev
dka0.               DKA0                CD-R/RW RW7040S  1.10
dka600.             DKA600       PIONEER CD-ROM DR-124X  1.01
dqa0.              DQA0        QUANTUM FIREBALL EX3.2A  A0A.0D00
dva0.               DVA0
pka0.               PKA0                  SCSI Bus ID 7
>>>boot dka0
(boot dka0. -flags 0)
dka0. has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
failed to open dka0.

This is with media present, and both drives have done this, though
on other ocassions I get different errors. The disk I burned has
an ISO image that apparently boots on other Alpha systems. Thoughts?

Curt Sampson  <>   917 532 4208
  Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes
  to make bears dance when we long to move the stars.  --Gustave Flaubert