Subject: Re: Re(2): 3000/600
To: Bryan McWhirt <iceberg@nxco.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/01/2000 09:53:04
Bryan McWhirt writes:
> So it's an ISO not an actual file?  The actual documentation in that
> directory were extreamly vauge.

No it is not an ISO. :-)  Yes, now it is really confusing.  Basically it
is an "image" that more or less is just like the first few meg of
a hard drive.  It has the normal boot sector, bootstrap, and kernel just
like it would be on a hard drive. (hence the cdhdtape)
The boot sector has some magic that convinces the alpha it is a nice
bootable device when it is written to a CD a HD, or a TAPE.

I will agree that the README.files doesn't clearly say that the image
should be written directly to a CD in "raw" mode.  It shows examples
of a hard drive or tape though that, I guess, are meant to be extrapolated.
:)  If you were to come up with an improved paragraph about 'cdhdtape' and
file a bug report via 'send-pr' it would probably get fixed.

Anyway, you should be able to write it out raw with cdrecord under NetBSD,
or via something like NERO (http://www.ahead.de/) under Windows.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.