Subject: Making a bootable Alpha CD
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Haas <wedge@lab46.corning-cc.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/11/2000 11:02:16
Greetings,

  I am trying to test out NetBSD (20000505 snapshot) on a DEC 3000/600S,
which has a SCSI CD-ROM. I've followed the instructions in the NetBSD
bootable CD howto to a certain point. It references a need for a utility
called 'installboot' which apparently installs crucial boot information
onto the iso image (particular to each platform...)... I do not have
another alpha to do this on. This alpha does not have anything on it.
  Other machines that I have include a PII-350 with Linux (the machine
with the burner), and a SPARCbook 3GX with NetBSD 1.4.2. What a variety...
  So, my question is:

  $ installboot -v output.iso /tmp/mdec.alpha/bootxx_cd9660

  What exactly happens? Can I accomplish this feat by a simple use of
dd'ing "bootxx_cd9660" to the beginning of the iso?

  Thanks.