Subject: Re: making a custom boot floppy
To: None <jonl@yubyub.net, nm@vt.edu>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/09/2000 09:45:35
> From: nm <nm@vt.edu>
> At 07:56 PM 5/5/00 -0400, Yubyub bird wrote:
> <snip>
> >I used the following hack on an AS 200 4/166...
> >
> >I put an Adaptec 2940UW in the machine (initiates at ID 7).
> >I set the onboard NCR SCSI to initiate at ID 6.
> >I connected the Adaptec, the NCR and the disks on a single chain.
> >Create a boot kernel which only knows about the Adaptec SCSI card.
> >
> >Boot, and voila - the kernel is laoded off the NCR, but since the kernel
> >doesn't know about the NCR, the adaptec becomes the primary SCSI.  So I
> >can boot, and still enjoy the pleasures of UW SCSI.
> >
> >Cool, huh? ;-)
>
> Wow!  Killer idea!  I have to try this.
>
> Nick

OK, I like that trick too.

But to answer your original question, the general reference for creating
bootable floppies is the Makefile in

	src/distrib/alpha/floppy-GENERIC

Since you don't actually want to use GENERIC, you will need to either modify
the Makefile to point at your kernel or run it something like this:

	# make KERNEL=/my/dir/my/kernel

   --ross