Subject: Re: making a custom boot floppy
To: None <,>
From: Ross Harvey <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/09/2000 09:45:35
> From: nm <>
> At 07:56 PM 5/5/00 -0400, Yubyub bird wrote:
> <snip>
> >I used the following hack on an AS 200 4/166...
> >
> >I put an Adaptec 2940UW in the machine (initiates at ID 7).
> >I set the onboard NCR SCSI to initiate at ID 6.
> >I connected the Adaptec, the NCR and the disks on a single chain.
> >Create a boot kernel which only knows about the Adaptec SCSI card.
> >
> >Boot, and voila - the kernel is laoded off the NCR, but since the kernel
> >doesn't know about the NCR, the adaptec becomes the primary SCSI.  So I
> >can boot, and still enjoy the pleasures of UW SCSI.
> >
> >Cool, huh? ;-)
> Wow!  Killer idea!  I have to try this.
> Nick

OK, I like that trick too.

But to answer your original question, the general reference for creating
bootable floppies is the Makefile in

Since you don't actually want to use GENERIC, you will need to either modify
the Makefile to point at your kernel or run it something like this:

	# make KERNEL=/my/dir/my/kernel