Subject: Re: Is the UP1000 with a 21264 supported under NetBSD/alpha?
To: port-alpha@netbsd.org <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/28/2000 18:33:50
Ted Sikora wrote:

> Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> >
> > > From port-alpha-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Fri Apr 28 12:38 PDT 2000
> > > Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:37:54 -0400
> > > From: Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
> > > To: Sven Dietrich <spock@sled.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
> > >         "port-alpha@netbsd.org" <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
> > > Subject: Re: Is the UP1000 with a 21264 supported under NetBSD/alpha?
> > >

> > > The UP1000 comes with the AlphaBios only. It's was designed specifically
> > > as a Linux board. Only the UP2000 has the SRM firmware. It was designed
> > > to hold either Linux or Digital Unix. Similarly the PC164UX was designed
> > > for NT hence the ARCBios firmware and the PC264DP for SMP Linux.
> > > Unfortunately they never took BSD into account when building them. The
> > > PC models are designed very much like a modern Athlon board.
> > > The 164UX even uses the AMD 751 northbridge with the EV6 bus
> > > much like an Athlon.
> >
> > Isn't it rather that the Athlon board has copied the EV6 bus
> > from the Alpha.
> >
> Yup! They licenced it from Digital and the FPU also or parts of it.

I can't see why no one has licensed the Alpha before unless Digital was
extremely possessive of the technology. It is clearly
the most powerful and technically advanced desktop platform available.(2
MFlops!) Maybe with Linux, BSD, Samsung and Compaq things will change.
MS pulled the plug on Win2000 at Intel's urging. Intel clearly see's the
threat. Is the core team still together since Compaq's absorbtion? API
announced today that all PC164 models are being discontinued. The
UP1000, UP2000 and the PC264DP are the only models available for now.

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group