Subject: Re: Is the UP1000 with a 21264 supported under NetBSD/alpha?
To: Sven Dietrich <spock@sled.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/28/2000 14:37:54
Sven Dietrich wrote:

> > If there is really no SRM console available for it NetBSD won't
> > run on it. SRM is a definite requirement for NetBSD (for all *BSD in
> > fact)
> >

> Well, I was hoping someone would say: sure, download the SRM
> console firmware from xyz... :)
>
> Sven

The UP1000 comes with the AlphaBios only. It's was designed specifically
as a Linux board. Only the UP2000 has the SRM firmware. It was designed
to hold either Linux or Digital Unix. Similarly the PC164UX was designed
for NT hence the ARCBios firmware and the PC264DP for SMP Linux.
Unfortunately they never took BSD into account when building them. The
PC models are designed very much like a modern Athlon board.
The 164UX even uses the AMD 751 northbridge with the EV6 bus
much like an Athlon. I am sure with enough requests API would offer an
alternate firmware option. An OEM like Microway can make it happen
overnight in fact they may even have it.

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group