Subject: Re: Netbsd for dec 3k with no floppy
To: None <>
From: Jim McBoyle <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/28/2000 09:40:08
Whilst I was pretending to study, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 03:34:52PM -0700, Ross Harvey wrote:
> > >>>
> > > 	Installing the NetBSD System
> > >
> > >:::
> > > The cdhdtape image is not an iso 9660 image, but it is bootable
> > > on your 3k...
> >
> > Oh, and I forgot to add .. don't try to get your 3k's CD drive to
> > read a CD-RW, it will need a CD-R.
> FWIW: for DEC cdroms RRD46 and later will read CD-RW. This indeed
> precludes the older machines unless they had new drives fitted.

Speaking of CDROMs as we were(n't) I had this daft thought... Could I
connect my old Sun external SCSI 2X cdrom drive (off of my Sparc LX) onto
my 3000/300? It uses the same size of SCSI cable (50pin) so I would have
though that it *should* be compatable, but...

PLease excuse this heretical thought, but as I have the hardware and it
*looks* like the idea might work I decided it would be a good idea to ask

Have Fun,
James McBoyle | "There is no spoon." Neo, The Matrix    | "Spooooooooooon!" The Tick, The Tick