Subject: Re: Is the UP1000 with a 21264 supported under NetBSD/alpha?
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/27/2000 18:20:20
On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 09:02:43AM -0700, Ross Harvey wrote:
> DEC guards SRM tightly as a way to reserve for themselves the
> sale of platforms for OSF/1^WDigital Unix^W^WTru64.
>
> It is therefore somewhat to be expected that a Samsung board would either
> not have SRM or have SRM only as an extra-cost item. I would call Samsung
> on the phone at this point, if it were me...

So, how tied to the SRM is NetBSD? If Samsung were to implement it's
own PALcode from scratch and to published specs, could that be used
with NetBSD? It's been said here before that writing PALcode is
a huge undertaking that requires close interaction with the hardware
guys; Samsung has the hardware guys in house....

"The 1990s have been named the Decade of the Brain, but there will
            never be a Decade of the Pancreas." -- S.Pinker, HTMW pg 24