Subject: Re: Is the UP1000 with a 21264 supported under NetBSD/alpha?
To: Peter Seebach <>
From: Kevin P. Neal <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/27/2000 18:17:13
On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 11:39:26AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> No, not at all.  NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and BSD/OS (and sort-of Darwin) are
> "derived from the same point" in some meaningful sense.  NetBSD and V9 Unix
> might be a little related.  Linux is a total rewrite from scratch by different
> people with different goals.

Not to throw any more confusion on the subject, but...

Curious: how much of BSD was rewritten between 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD? If
I recall correctly, much of userland and libc was totally rewritten
from scratch and specs to remove AT&T taint.(?)

Of course, these coders still had different goals than the Linux guys.

I'm not in the wrong thread twice in one day, am I? Hope not...
Kevin P. Neal

 "Good grief, I've just noticed I've typed in a rant. Sorry chaps!"
                            Keir Finlow Bates, circa 1998