Subject: Re: Installing a 3000/300 without using the serial console
To: Jim McBoyle <J.F.Mcboyle@bton.ac.uk>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/17/2000 18:55:51
> It's probably a dumb question, but is there a way I can install 1.4.2 on
> my 3000/300 without the install routine going to the serial console? I
> couldn't find anything in the archives, so I thought I'd ask.

No, it is not a dumb question.

For whatever reason, the default seems to be on 1.4.1, 1.4.2, and 1.4T to
run out the serial port, to install.  You apparently MUST find some sort
of pc with terminal program (Kermit is good), or a dumb monitor to
install.  I dunno why this should be so, but it is.

After installation, you need to recompile the kernel with the TCWSwhatever
config file, and then it should come up correctly on the graphics head
and monitor, if you take care to set the BOOT_OSFLAGS A, to force multiuser
boot.

That is as far as I have gotten mine.

I was hoping to get X up on it, but apparently, X won't work on the
Turbochannel boxes because of no mouse/keyboard support, yet?
Anyone know for sure, or if there is some way to get X up and running
on a 3000 M300LX type Turbochannel machine off the native board
video framebuffer?

Any insights into that would be appreciated.

It is too nice a machine to have to run it like a VAX.....and I have 6 VAXen
running NetBSD......(:+\\.....

Thanks

Bob