Subject: Re: what's this machine check mean?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/17/2000 18:21:40
On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> It'd probably cost more to get it to me than it would for me to get one
> locally. :-)  Besides, I wouldn't worry about it unless the machine
> checks continue once I have 70ns or better RAM in there.  80ns is close
> enough I could easily believe it will mostly work at 70ns, especially
> since the ECC it does can presumably recover from the occasional error.

Beware, the noname can be quite picky about the RAM. I once had two
boards, one that worked fine with 80ns and another that didn't even boot
with 70ns. I thought it was broken, so I returned it. But the dealer
didn't have any problem with his (original Digital) RAM, so I got it
back. I put some 60ns RAM in it, and it worked like a charm.

> 					der Mouse
>
> 			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> 		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

/Andreas