Subject: Re: what's this machine check mean?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/2000 01:19:56
On Sat, Apr 15, 2000 at 02:54:25PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> The bad news is, it didn't work: even after waiting a full minute, I
> got nothing out the console serial port.  (It normally starts printing
> stuff about 45 seconds after power-up.  I don't have the diagnostic
> LEDs hooked up.)

Yikes! 45 seconds?

My board might not be broken after all. I never waited 45 seconds for
output on the serial lines. Is this documented anywhere?

So, what's the serial pinout gotcha? Is it documented?

And when testing random motherboards, how long do you guys leave the
board hooked up and running before declaring that nothing will happen?
More than 45 seconds?

My end of the semester blues (March 22, 1999 9:23pm):
          "I'M GOING TO DIE! ..... This calls for pretzels!"