Subject: Re: DEC 3000 300XL partitioning....
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/14/2000 10:24:42
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 04:39:28PM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > Anyone running NetBSD-1.4.2 on an olde 3000 300XL alpha like mine?
>
> Got exactly that machine, and it runs with multiple partitions just
> fine.  I'm still running 1.3.2 there, tho. It's a production box that
> I haven't had the time to update to 1.4.x.

Success!

I got NetBSD-1.4.1 loaded last night.

As it turns out, it was a problem with the Seagate 3610N drives (RZ25L).
They would not take a newfs.  I swapped Quantum RZ25L's and they worked
fine.  Anyone know if there are any particular jumper or other settings
on the Seagate RZ25Ls that would give rise to such a problem?  Maybe
there is code at the beginning of the drive that generates problems.
I will try lowlevelling them on my VAX and see if that cures the newfs
thing.  Strange, for sure.

Now to burn a minicd with the 1.4.2 stuff and see if I can get that
loaded tonight.

Thanks All....

Bob