Subject: DEC 3000 300XL partitioning....
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/13/2000 16:39:28
A couple of days ago I queried the list for any problems on installing
NetBSD-1.4.2 on Alphas (old 3000 300XL boxes), relating to newfsing and
partitioning.  Since nothing seemed to pop up, I will ask again, before
I go digging into the machine over the weekend.

Machine: DEC 3000 300XL, 32mb ram, 550mb scsi HD, with serial VT terminal.

Boots NetBSD-1.4.2 alpha fine, and disklabels fine.

Newfs dies on any partition after the root partition, manually
or by install script.  Why?

I noticed a little note in the INSTALL.txt file about making the
entire disk root????? (less a swap partition).  Is that for real?
My root partition (32mb) did fine newfsing, but when the script
moved on to the d partition for usr, it errored out and aborted
to prom.  Disklabel did fine, manually or by script.  Newfsing
the first partition did fine, manually or by script.  After that
it returned errors, and died.  It is almost as if it was unable
to correctly make partitions after the first one on the disk.

It could be the alpha dummy, here, made a stupid misteak, or
it might be something else, like a reale bugge.   Dunno, yet.

Anyone have in insights as to what might be happening?

Anyone running NetBSD-1.4.2 on an olde 3000 300XL alpha like mine?

Thanks

Bob