Subject: Re: Testers wanted for new TGA console code
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/07/2000 23:26:09
"R. C. Dowdeswell" <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org> writes:

> Yep.  I've been thinking about this one for a while, but the problem
> is that wscons only hands you one character at a time and hence
> you can't get the full benefit of stippling 32 bits at a time, but
> can only stipple 16 bits (or whatever the font width is.)

8, currently. For some reason it took me a long time to think about
the rest of the path a character has to travel; I was just thinking in
terms of the 128 TGA writes done by rasops32_putchar() vs. the 24 done
by tga_putchar().

> Also, on the copyrows(), we would do better to jump scroll a la
> xterm, but that would require wscons to buffer input a bit using
> a Nagley algorithm.  That would allow us to reduce the number of
> calls to copyrows() significantly.

Absolutely. Again, this seems to be 100% wscons's fault. Does wscons
not have any such buffering?

        - Nathan