Subject: Re: WSS on Multia UDB
To: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/03/2000 16:45:07
"John A. Maier" wrote:

>Oh, I thought I asked this, but obviously I didn't.
>
>The Multia port (at least) switches from "text" to gui mode when the
>kernel boots.  Is there a way of keeping this from happening?  I've got a
>large monitor and I like lots of lines and cols.
>
>If so, would X have to go away, on the console.
>
>jam

Actually strictly speaking it doesn't, it just switches fonts.
That is the problem with multiple virtual terminals as wscons only
has the capability (at the moment) of using graphics card memory
to back up the screen.

Not sure about different fonts, there's may be a way to do that.

And it is possible for it to be slower -- check out 1.4 for _really_
slow X, or 1.3.x for a much slower console and slightly slower X.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==