Subject: Re: WSS on Multia UDB
To: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/03/2000 13:27:52
"John A. Maier" wrote:

>1) mpeg123 is not Alpha-ized but amp works well as a mp3 player (FYI)

I think that this is a version thing.  The version of mpg123 that
I have mpg123-0.59o seems to like the alpha okay.  I have heard
that later versions have problems, but haven't looked into it.

>2) When I play any audio it has a hint of wavering.  I thought it was amp
>at first, but I played some of the wav files from wmsound and I can still
>here it!  Anyone else noticed this?  Is this just my Multia or all
>Multia? (BTW drq is 3)

I've noticed this a little.  Haven't looked into this.

>3) Looking at the board it seems that there is at least 2 megs of video
>memory, so what's up with only 8bit video?  I realize it is not a NetBSD
>thing, since the startup video test is obviously 8bit.

It is actually possible, I think to set up 16 bit colour, and I've
been thinking about doing this.  It won't be in 1.5, though.

>4) I use wscons on i386 all of the time, how do I do virtual terms with
>the Alpha wscons?  I perform the exact same steps as I do for i386 and it
>doesn't like it!

This doesn't work on frame buffers as yet.  I think that this is
something else that would be nice to have.  You'd have to save a bit
of state, but shouldn't be too terribly difficult.  Not for 1.5, either,
though, I'd imagine.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==