Subject: PS/2 keyboard and Alpha Multia UDB
To: port-alpha@netbsd.org <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/30/2000 16:36:00
I discovered something interesting.

I have a switch box at home so I can share 1 mouse, keyboard and monitor
among 4 computers.  The switch-box is a DIN-5 style, so I use a DIN-5 to
PS/2 connector converter.  This has always worked flawlessly with my PCs,
but the UDB complains that there is no keyboard connected and defaults to
the serial port.  I tried numerous combinations and one when I connected
the PS/2 keyboard (curiously enough, I have a IBM PS/2 keyboard -> DIN-5
adapter going into the switch box) to the Alpha, up it came!

I realized that the PS/2 connector has 6 pins where the DIN-5 (obviously)
has 5 pins.

So what feature does that 6th pin provide to the Alpha?  Just curious.

John A. Maier
Kemper Military School and College
Director of MIS
Voice: 660-882-5623