Subject: Re: scsi disk help
To: None <shsrms@bellatlantic.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/29/2000 23:28:26
> I attempted to move the disk image from the 1.4.1 CD on to the drive to
> use it to install 1.4.1 on the drive.  I screwed up some how, I have
> this 1.4MB file on it vice the bigger one, and the drive thinks it is
> only 1.4MB big.

Welcome to the insanity that is in-band disklabel geometry information.

Compile up a kernel with "options INSECURE".

Boot that into single-user and 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdNc count=1 bs=64k'
This will destroy the old (bogus 1.4MB) disklabel.

Reboot with a normal kernel and set up the disk from scratch.

(This is not the only way to do it, of course.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com