Subject: RE: Port benchmarks
To: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/26/2000 14:30:54
On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Bill Dorsey wrote:

> I ran hbench on my Multia, Sparc 5, and PWS 433A...

Ouch! Couldn't you use a benchmark that doesn't take several days to run? :-)

> some interesting numbers for each machine on memory bandwidth:
>
> Multia:	 25 MB/S (166MHZ 21066)
> Sparc 5:	 50 MB/S (160MHZ Fujitsu)
> PWS 433A:	200 MB/S (433MHZ 21164)

You don't say whether these are read or write; I get quite different
figures for the two on some machines. Anyway, for your edification:

Machine			Read B/W	Write B/W

PPro 166		85 MB/s		33 MB/s
75 MHz SS20		60 MB/s		42 MB/s
500 MHz 21164*		143 MB/s	129 MB/s	(Interleaved memory.)
300 MHz AMD K6-II**	250 MB/s	100 MB/s	(100 MHz SDRAM.)

I find it a bit odd that the PWS-433A has considerably faster memory
than a PC164. Or is the PWS-433A using a different sort of memory
subsystem?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes