Subject: Re: SETI@Home clients
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Mackerell <chris@bcl.co.nz>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/23/2000 11:06:40
John Franklin wrote:
> =

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 09:41:38PM -0500, HerbalGypsy/justbobthebard wr=
ote:
> > John,
> > did you ever get an answer to this??
> > thanks
> > bob
> > John Franklin wrote:
> > >
> > > The Berkeley SETI@Home page (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu) ha=
s got
> > > i386 FreeBSD and Linux binaries.  This is something I'd like to run=
 on
> > > my Alpha.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know the status of the netbsd-alpha binaries?  Their s=
tatistics
> > > page[1] shows netbsd-alpha versions connecting, albeit only one dat=
a package
> > > which would imply testing of some sort but still a port.
> =

> Eventually a port for NetBSD/Alpha did show up on the site and I've use=
> it.  It ran in the background.  I've got seti running on a number of
> other machines, so I don't know how robust it was.  It was eating a
> significant amount of memory on my machine (which only had 32M in
> it when I tried it) and the swapping was slowing it down too much.

I run the alpha-dec-osf3.0 binary under NetBSD/Alpha OSF emulation.
Runs fine for me.

I have vague memories that when I first tested the clients that the
OSF client actually ran faster on NetBSD than the native NetBSD one.

The OSF client seems to be kept much more up-to-date than the
NetBSD ones.

I also run the mips-dec-ultrix4.3 client on a stack of NetBSD pmaxes,
and the static linked linux i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static and
i386-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static clients on my NetBSD/i386 systems!

Cheers, Chris

> =

> jf
> --
> John Franklin
> franklin@elfie.org
> ICBM: 35=B048'19"N 78=B046'39"W

-- =

    _     _
 / /_) / /   / /  /   Chris Mackerell <chris@bcl.co.nz> =

/ /_) / /_  / /_ /    Ph: +64 4 801-6716  Fax: +64 4 385-2752
http://www.bcl.co.nz  Mobile: +64 25 321-216
Business Computers Ltd, Box 3236, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND.